EDS staff have a long history of delivering new roads and junctions to serve both new build projects and existing sites.
We have in depth knowledge of the S38 process which allows new estate roads to be adopted and subsequently maintained by the local highway authority.
Where modifications are needed to existing highways a S278 agreement may be required. This is typically needed for the formation of a new junctions, or traffic calming works for example.
To avoid potential delays to your build project or planning approval, we are happy to undertake liaison with local highway engineers to ensure any highway concerns are addressed as early as possible and to avoid abortive design costs.
If you are drawing up initial site plans we are always happy to assist with the highways layout to ensure it meets the required design standards and if necessary is suitable for adoption by the local authority.
We are increasingly seeing estate road designs put forward by developers which do not provide suitable access for fire appliances or refuse vehicles.
Use of our vehicle swept path analysis software can help address this issue and avoid re-design or delays to planning approval.
Services we offer include:
• Design and detailing of on and off site highways.
• Liaison and negotiation with the Highway Authority
• S38 agreements - adoption of new roads.
• S278 agreements - modifications to existing highways.
• Swept path analysis for all vehicles.
• Highway pavement design - for private and adoptable roads.
• Design concepts for planning and pre-planning design guidance.
Below is an example of a vehicle swept path analysis for a proposed new entrance to a supermarket delivery area. This was produced to address concerns raised by the Council's highway officer about access to the facility.